Property, Rent Review and Rating Disputes
Cordells has one of Hong Kong’s leading practices in property, rent review and rating dispute resolution. We regularly advise on the legal hypothesis for rental valuations and the determination procedure, both of which can considerably affect the financial outcome, particularly in a fluctuating market. We have been successfully involved in many rent review cases of significant financial consequence, utilizing both expert determination and arbitration.
We also advise in a wide variety of property related disputes, including commercial landlord and tenant issues and development disputes.
Examples of our experience include:
- Advising a retailer in relation to a dispute concerning reinstatement obligations
- Acting for a tenant in arbitration proceedings concerning the rent review provisions of large industrial premises in Hong Kong
- Advising an international bank in relation to landlord’s claims in respect of reinstatement obligations of its office premises
- Advising a trading entity in relation to claims by the landlord for repair of inherent defects in curtain walls.
- Assisting a buyer of commercial property to avoid a sale and purchase agreement on the basis of vendor misrepresentations in the sale and purchase agreement
- Acting for a private equity investment company in relation to various proceedings commenced by the landlord in the Lands Tribunal in relation to a stand-alone private residence in Mid-Levels
- Acting for an owner in relation to adverse possession claims in respect of the redevelopment of a residential site