Investment, Acquisitions & Disposals
Cordells has in-depth experience advising real estate funds and institutional investors in the acquisition and disposal of investment properties. This includes advice on development entitlements, the Hong Kong Consent and Non-Consent Schemes, and occupational lease analysis with particular regard to rent review and other provisions affecting financial returns.
We have also represented corporations in the acquisition of office and other buildings for their own use.
Co-ownership documentation regularly presents challenges and we have considerable experience with regard to the co-ownership regulatory framework in Hong Kong and India.
Examples of our experience include:
- Acting on the purchase and build-out by Citibank of the East Tower, One Bay East Kowloon East, Hong Kong (Click here for further details) by way of a forward-purchase under the Lands Department’s Consent Scheme and for Manulife Life Insurance in relation to the purchase of the West Tower, One Bay East (Click here for further details)
- Acting on the acquisition of a commercial building in India for a US bank as international counsel for the purchase, development and management agreements including risk mitigation advice
- Acting on the acquisition of part of a commercial building under construction in Hong Kong for use as educational facilities
- Acting on the acquisition of a hotel building in Hong Kong for conversion to residential use
- Acting on the disposal and leaseback by and to a real estate fund of a commercial building in Kwai Chung
- Acting on the disposal and leaseback by and to a real estate fund of a commercial building in Shatin
- Acting on the strata-titling and subsequent disposal of a commercial building in Causeway Bay, including drafting the relevant deed of mutual covenant