Data Centres and Hong Kong Science Park
An area of particular experience is the building and leasing of data centre facilities where we have acted both for investment banks and IT service providers, including in relation to complex fitting out and service level agreements. Our experience includes data centres in Hong Kong, the UK and Japan.
We have on many occasions represented companies taking space at the various estates managed by the Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation and assigning or surrendering their leases.
Examples of our experience include:
- Advising in relation to the building and leasing of several data centre facilities in Hong Kong for various investment banks and IT service providers, including complex fitting out and service level agreements
- Advising in relation to the partial novation of a service agreement in respect of a data centre in Tokyo, Japan including building obligations, phased handover, services obligations, and step-in rights
- Advising in relation to a business recovery facility in Jakarta, Indonesia including building obligations
- Advising international banks on the acquisition of land for and subsequent development of data centres in the UK, on both a freehold and a leasehold basis, including advice on construction risk, development agreements, warranties and defects liability, and services agreements
- Advising numerous industrial tenants with regard to agreements for lease of premises from The Hong Kong Industrial Estates Corporation (now merged in the Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation) and in particular in relation to alienation restrictions