Arbitrator and Advocacy
Phillip Rompotis practiced as a barrister in Australia for many years and is one of a handful of Solicitor-Advocates in Hong Kong with higher rights of audience in all courts.
He has been appointed arbitrator numerous times, under various institutional rules.
In addition, Phillip has been instructed as lead counsel/advocate in numerous litigation and arbitration proceedings. These include disputes concerning:
- “traditional” building and construction claims involving claims for extension of time, additional payment, assessment of variations and liquidated damages
- performance bonds, warranties, assignments, novation of contract, insurance
- joint ventures in high rise residential buildings, commercial buildings, shopping centres
- energy projects
Reported cases in which Phillip appeared as advocate include:
- McConnell Dowell Constructors (Aus) Pty Ltd v Gas Transmission Services WA (Operations) Pty Ltd & Ors  VSC 301
- Alstom Power Ltd v Yokogawa Australia Pty Ltd & Gas Transmission Services WZ (Operations) Pty Ltd & Ors (No.4)  SASC 298
- MB Marlow Engineering Pty Ltd v Alliance Constructions Aust. Pty Ltd & Commercial Industrial Construction Group Pty Ltd  VCC 832